Your academic degree says something about you—that you were motivated enough to complete the required course materials on a particular subject, and you had enough interest (and maybe even passion) for the topic to study it for an extended period of time. While your degree is nothing to glaze over in the career world, and sure, it looks great on paper—it means less to a potential employer if you don’t have the skills to back it up. With technology at our fingertips, acquiring the training for the career skills you need is more accessible than ever. Here are 10 valuable career skills you can learn online—and with the help of UWA Online Continuing Education e-Learning!
- Speaking or translating another language. Fluency or near-fluency in another language can give you a leg up when it comes to finding a prominent position within a company you have your eye on. Try free online language learning platforms like Duolingo, or UWA Online offers the course “Spanish for Medical Professionals” for those in the medical field.
- Specific software expertise. Master Microsoft Excel, become a pro at Photoshop—all from the comfort of your own computer screen. Proficiency in specific computer programs is a common requirement for many jobs. At UWA Online, you can earn a Certificate in Mastering Excel or a Certificate in Presentation Media, which includes the course “Photoshop for Presentations.”
- Google tools. Experience working with Google programs like Google Analytics, Google apps for business and Google+ are prized in various corners of the workforce today including search engine optimization, digital marketing, web and app development and more. You can earn a Certificate in Google Tools through the UWA Online Continuing Education.
- Effective communication. No matter what career you are in or pursuing, communication is key across the board. Strong communication skills can make all the difference between a job candidate who is selected for a position and one who is rejected. UWA Online Continuing Education offers the opportunity to earn a Certificate in Workplace Communication, for which participants will take the following three courses: “Conflict Management,” “Negotiation: Get What You Want” and “Using Personality Profiles for Better Work Performance.”
- Professional writing. Writing is one form of communication that can also prove critical to your marketability to potential employers. Whether you are preparing materials for print, maintaining a blog or drafting emails, effective writing can serve a variety of useful purposes in the workplace. Earn a Certificate in Business Writing with the courses “Effective Copywriting,” “Business Writing,” and “Writing News and Press Releases,” through UWA Online.
- Social media marketing. There is more to marketing on social media than posting a picture with a few hashtags. Learning the ins and outs of everything social media platforms offer in terms of paid posts, audience targeting and more can prove extremely valuable to your business. UWA Online Continuing Education offers a Managing Social Media Platforms Certificate, a Social Media for Business Certificate and individual courses like “Social Media for Business,” “Instagram for Business” and more.
- Accounting and finance. Employers will gravitate toward someone who exhibits strong skills in budgeting, analyzing and managing cash flow for a business. Through UWA Online Continuing Education, you can earn a Certificate in Accounting and Finance for Non-Financial Managers with the courses “Accounting and Finance for Non-Financial Managers,” “Cash is King,” and “Financial Analysis and Planning for Non-Financial Managers.”
- Interested in starting a company from the ground up? There are certain skills an aspiring entrepreneur should be familiar with in order to have a chance at being successful. You can earn certificates in Entrepreneurship and Entrepreneurial Finance through UWA Online Continuing Education.
- It pays to have the confidence and know-how to step up into a leadership role when the time is right. Effective leadership is what will lead you to earning a promotion or landing a position at a bigger and better company. UWA Online offers several leadership-focused certificates and courses including a Certificate in Leadership Development, Certificate in Leadership in the 21st Century and courses like “Customer Service Leadership,” and “Developing Your Leadership Skills.”
- Data analysis. Being able to interpret data and use it to the advantage of a business is a valuable skill to show off no matter what field you are working in. Earn a certificate in Data Analysis from UWA Online with “Introduction to Data Analysis,” “Intermediate Data Analysis,” and “Advanced Data Analysis.”
Consider adding one or more of these valuable career skills you can learn online to your resume! All you have to do is take the next step by registering today at www.uwa.edu/ce!