Self-publishing materials is an excellent way to grow your business and legitimize yourself as an expert in your respective field.
Now, you can learn exactly what you need to do to be a successful self-publisher through UWA Online Continuing Education!
“Growing Your Business With Self-Publishing 1207” is one of three courses required to earn a Certificate in Self-Publishing for Business from UWA Online Continuing Education. In this course, students will learn how to use self-publishing to their advantage as business owners, including how to develop information to which customers can relate, learning how to print small quantities of materials economically and how self-publishing can strengthen customer relations.
This four-week course is divided up into the following units:
Unit 1: Self-Publishing Overview and Today’s Marketplace
- Models of self-published publications and books
- Understanding formats: paperback, hardcover, spiral bound, three-ring binder
- Statistics and facts about bestsellers lists, print runs and the pros and cons of self-publishing versus traditional publishing
- Finding your niche in the marketplace
- Strategic planning to boost customer relations, repeat customers and gain new customers
Unit 2: Writing Your Work
- Writing for your customers, not your boss
- Writing concise chunked copy for business publications and books
- The three keys to powering up your copy
- Second draft: revising and improving your copy
- Editing your own work
Unit 3: Producing Your Work
- Freelance proofreaders and editors abroad
- Include a Canadian price?
- ISBN numbers
- Layouts, templates and publishing info
- Library of Congress copyright
- Printer bids and terms of sale
Unit 4: Making Your Book More Marketable
- Smart content development and trends
- At market/publishing trends and how to identify them
- Publishing seasons and identifying the best possible time and placement for your book
- What it takes to make your book marketable and how to do book store research
- Creating a book launch calendar
- Exploring various research tools to better understand the market for your book
By the end of the course, participants will understand the various self-publishing formats and which one(s) will benefit them, put into practice tips for writing engaging non-fiction pieces and know how to produce a publication using barcodes, ISBN numbers and printers.
The next courses are available April 3 through 28 or June 5 through 30!
To register for this or other UWA Online Continuing Education courses, visit https://uwa.augusoft.net/!v