The art of written communication has a place in nearly every career field on the planet. Especially if your position is particularly copy-heavy, excelling at this skill can place you ahead in your field and help you appear professional, competent and beneficial to your company. Effective copywriting can empower you to communicate messages to a wide audience both efficiently and creatively.
In Effective Copywriting 1201, participants will focus on strong writing skills as a means to achieving success. Students will learn the tools and techniques needed to improve their writing abilities and also learn how to avoid commonly-made writing mistakes that can hinder your copywriting career.
This one-month course is divided into the following four units:
Unit 1: Copywriting Essentials
- How to tell the difference between bad copy and good copy
- The art of the perfect sentence
- Developing your message
- Crafting your document roadmap
- Adapting your style to the audience and message
Unit 2: Getting to the Point
- Clarity and brevity: less is more
- Active vs. passive voice
- Cutting the clutter
- Using concrete examples and avoiding unwarranted superlatives
Unit 3: Self Editing
- Leaving yourself time for revisions
- Avoiding common grammar mistakes and punctuation pitfalls
- Subject, verb and object agreement
- Fact checking
- The benefits of having an in-house style guide
Unit 4: Creating Attention-Grabbing Press Releases
- Writing benefit-driven copy
- Setting the right tone
- Language to use and language to avoid
- Writing a great headline
By the end of Effective Copywriting 1201, participants will possess the know-how to be able to write clear, concise and engaging copy using smart word choices. They will also be able to better communicate their messages in a way that appeals to the intended audience and will be more in-tune with identifying and avoiding common copywriting errors.
This course is one of three available to earn a Certificate in Business Writing from the University of West Alabama Online. The certificate also requires “Business Writing” and “Writing News and Press Releases.”
Effective Copywriting is being offered May 1-26, June 5-30 and September 4-29. To register for this or other UWA Online Continuing Education courses, visit https://uwa.augusoft.net/!